Ellie's World

...a little place for big thoughts...

Friday 4 June 2010

Warning: excessive time spent on park benches can lead to introspection



So the other day we were released from college early (I use the term released because it does feel like serving time, only without the satellite TV, video games and good social life) and I decided, since it was sunny, I was going to walk down to the Mersey and sunbathe; I took my copy of The Big Issue with me to read, stuck my headphones in and set out. It was nice on the bench in the sun (even with the boats, ferries, buses, cars, fighter planes and helicopters going back and forth): I sat back and read my magazine and when that finished I found myself laid down dozing. I spent a good 2 hours (plus) on that bench and returned again today but it wasn't as sunny - in fact walking home I got quite wet with big ploppy rain drops (which was equally as lovely as sitting in the sun). I have decided to adopt that bench as my introspection-seat/home if I ever get sacked.
One of the things I thought about, whilst the slightly awkward wooden bench realigned my spine into something resembling a roadkill snake, was how much my character has evolved in the past 10 years or so. Living here with young guys would've driven me round the bend 10 years ago - the kitchen is a constant health hazard and outside my door there is an impressive selection of bottle tops to stand on in my morning haze, not to mention the 4am drunken wake up calls. I am not painting a pretty picture here but, to be honest, I am quite happy. I don't like the mess and the dirt (I just spent a good hour of my Friday night antibacterialising every surface I could find, including walls, and cleaning the week's worth of dishes until my hands aged 60 years) but I am so much more tolerant and patient than my younger self was. I used to be quite firey, irrational, unfair and selfish - now I am more patient, forgiving, tolerant and selfish.
It's good to have something left to work on.

2 comments:

  1. I do that too - go to the beach and read, that is. Haven't done that for so long (English beaches are still a bit windy for me, too windy to go out in beach clothes). Can't wait to go to beach in Hong Kong soon, though.

    ReplyDelete