Ellie's World

...a little place for big thoughts...

Sunday 23 May 2010

Hull 10k for EDS Support Group


Hello Guys, I've not blogged recently because I've had nothing interesting to tell you about but now I do! Today was the Hull 10k and I had yet another brilliant weekend in Hull - I turned up at my dad's work, having not seen him for 5 years and we had the best couple of days. I also saw friends and my hero and sister Emma but the absolute best bit was finishing the Hull 10k and a couple of my friends being there and most importantly Emma there to see and celebrate :o) It was so hard for her to get there and I know she'll be suffering tonight and undoubtedly tomorrow for it but she was there and it made all the agonising, sweaty, heat-stroke ridden sleep-deprived (3 1/2 hours...that'll teach me to hang out with friends before an event) steps around Hull totally worth it. I even got a bit choked up before I started, and every time I was dying to walk I'd think of Emma and the few times I did walk I silently apologised to her in my head - in the end I came 1981 of 5000, which is fairly respectable considering it was a heat wave and I started right at the back :o) I'll know next time to wriggle right to the front. What a day. I still can't get my photos on here until next weekend when I finally mission back South to see the bf, but I'll definitely get them on then (something to look forward to).
In other news, still holding out on the No Sugar Challenge - Day 26 now and it's a bit irritating when you're starving hungry, sugar is just what you crave.
My other day counter is the one counting down to going home from L'town - Day 20 today if you're following :o) No time at all :o)
The photo on this post I took this afternoon of the Humber Bridge: this bridge makes me squeal because it's the first real big sight of Hull, but there's so much more to this structure. When it was built, in 1981 (that's right, same number as what I came in the race), it was the world's longest suspension bridge - and remained so for 17 years. It has anchors weighing almost half a million tonnes and the cable is 30,000 miles long (which, to put that into context for you, could almost wrap around the world twice). The cabling is being replaced currently, by a local company from Barton-on-Humber (you can see the little units on the cable). I've walked halfway over the Humber Bridge (it's a mile and a quarter long) and that thing MOVES, so I can't imagine working on the cables! Those guys are heroes.
Over and Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment