Ellie's World

...a little place for big thoughts...

Friday 1 October 2010

Let's play "If I won the lottery"!


Hi guys. I hope you've had a good week so far and have something lined up over the weekend that'll make you smile. Today I heard at work that the Euromillions* is £82,000,000.00 tonight. That's all the encouragement I need to spend a pound on a ticket and I bet I'm not the only one.
So driving home I was daydreaming about what I'd do with the £82M. Here's what came to mind...
> The first thing I'd do is book a first class ticket to Australia for my mum. Then I'd call her and tell her to quit her job and pack her bags. My mum has a close relative in Aus that she really needs to be with and I would want to help as soon as possible.
> The second thing I'd do is advertise for a live-in carer for my sister - I imagined interviewing them and they'd be a young friendly woman that my sis really liked. Then I'd work with the sis to find the perfect house wherever she wanted to live and we'd do the whole place over to make it super well suited to her every whim. I'd get a car that suited her and the carer could take her to appointments. She'd have an art studio and anything she needed medically. We'd work together to get her some stuff to make her life much rosier, and some treats too - that's where that one gets vague as I'd have to ask her!
> I thought what I'd do for the other sister - but she seems to have everything. Perhaps bank accounts for the nieces? I'd have to ask.
> and finally on to me. What'd I do? Well, I'd not tell anyone for a start. No-one at work; which leads me on to: I'd keep my crappy low-paid high-workload job. I know you don't believe me but I really would - I love my job and the challenge. I'd need to know I could make it on my own still; I'd still need a reason to wake in a morning; I'd not want to become spoilt - I'd still get up at 5.30am to go to Walsall for a 3-hour meeting and spend weeks in dodgy student accommodation in Liverpool.
> There's a plus side to not telling anyone at work - I can buy a stunning f-off mustang and drive it on weekends and carry on in our little Clio at work like a superhero with an alter-ego.
> I'd buy a little house near work (with a big garage) and a bigger house further out into the countryside. I'd stay near work when I was in the office and in the big house on weekends or holidays or whenever.
> which leads me neatly onto my friend - I'd invite Sammy to come and live with me in one of the houses free of charge so she could find a job and save up and we'd have a great time :)
> I'd also pay off all my debts - that'd feel amazing!
> I'd get a horse and 2 jack russells. And a Land Rover Defender for the stables. I'd keep my horse at the stables I ride at now so I could have lessons and work on dressage together.
> I'd be able to shop in All Saints! :D That'd be amazing. And I'd get my hair done more often instead of waiting 6 months, trimming split ends with kitchen scissors because I can't afford to get it cut. And each year I'd plan an amazing holiday somewhere different each time :)

Ah, I love this game. Most of the things I want are for other people - at least, those are my first wants. With £82M I'd barely have enough time to get through everything I'd want to do for everyone. I'd be busy as hell but man alive, I'd enjoy it.

What'd you do if you won?

* http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/lotterydrawgames/euromillions.ftl

2 comments: